Thursday 1 November 2012

Drowning in work

Last summer I wrote a post about NaNoWriMo, and that I planned to join this year. Now November is here, but I'm not spending all my spare time writing a novel. I wish I could be, but I have to be realistic - not only have I got my thesis to write, I've also gone from having 6 hours of classes last period to 17 this period. That's 6 courses, and 4 of them require tons of work. The deadline I gave myself when I started on my thesis was 13.12, so not long to go. I also really need to find and do some work, because cash is really tight at the moment. Really not a great combo.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel: this crazy schedule will only be on for 1½ months, then it's time for the Christmas holidays, and come spring, I shouldn't have as many courses. I still quite enjoy working on my thesis, even though the "official" fun bit (i.e. the trip to Scotland) is over, and it's starting to get a bit more difficult.

Also, one of those courses that require a lot of work is a course in literary translation, where we'll be translating the upcoming novel "Anglopolis" by Danielle Trussoni. This means I'll be part of a group that are translating an actual novel (no made up assignments) that will be published, and my name will be listed as one of the translators! I have to say, that's pretty cool!

The novel in question. Battery added for size reference.

It's dark, and cold, and at times pretty wet outside, and there are occasions where I feel like I'm drowning in work, and that my head will explode, but I have to keep telling myself that I can do this. Not long to go, I promise.

It's a real shame I can't join NaNoWriMo this year, but I think it's ok to leave that particular challenge for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...