Wednesday 23 February 2011

Post-London blues

So far, I've lived abroad three times; a year in the French Alps, a few months in Paris, and seven months in London. All this time spent away from my home, my friends and my family, I can't say that I have ever gotten really homesick. Sure, I've missed my friends and family occasionally, and, depending on where I lived, I have missed my apartment, or some special kind of food or sweets, but I have never been properly homesick.

Until I get back home, that is.

Before moving abroad, you hear a lot about culture shock. You also hear that for a lot of people, reverse culture shock, the kind you experience when you get back, is actually worse. Maybe this kind of reverse homesickness that I have been feeling lately is part of that.

When I was still in London, I complained about a lot of things. I said I missed my own uni, because Middlesex was... well, not great. I said I missed my own apartment, with my own kitchen and my own bathroom, and with lots of space. I would talk to some friends on Skype or Facebook, and they would tell me about the things they had been doing, and the party they were going to, and I would wish I could join them.

These past few days, however, all I have been able to think about is London.

The first few days after getting back, I had trouble adjusting to living by myself again. I felt sad about leaving my friends and the city I love behind, and having to come back to this cold, dark place, and I couldn't even talk to my housemates about it, because I no longer had any. I got over that fairly quickly, though, and got back into a routine of living alone. I liked going back to uni and feeling like I'm actually doing something that's useful for my studies, although I do complain a bit about the work.

But now, I'm suddenly experiencing homesickness. I don't miss my room in halls, or Middlesex uni, but I do miss the people I lived with, and most of all, simply living in London! Also, I know that spring will come there so much sooner than here, which is what depresses me the most about being home. Oh, and of course everything's so damn expensive here! (Yes, even compared to London.)

I guess it's a classic case of the grass being greener on the other side, since I always seem to be missing what I don't have. The best thing would be if I could just grab my entire life and ship it to London, then I could get the best of both worlds. Good luck with that, right?

I should try to focus on my studies and other important things, instead of spending my time trying to find a way to afford a trip back there. But I WILL go back, and as soon as possible, too! After all, spring is coming, and I need clothes ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...